Monday, October 03, 2005

Persuasion

Although it is not my intention to use this space for agonism my first entry will be rather, well, agonistic. I am nauseous after my Persuasion class today - absolutely wretched. We discussed/watched a presentation on MTV/WWf and the effects they have on our culture's notion of what it means to be men/women. 90% of music videos are created by men, thus women's voices are rarely heard. Take, for instance, Janet Jackson pre-the hair/body makeover. She covered herself, danced and sang... and still she was known as MJ's little sister. Then she made the big change. C'mon, you know the one I'm talking about. Suddenly her hair was long and straight and she showed belly button. From that point forward she became 'Janet.' MTV displays women as mere playthings as though we are devoid of personality or individuality. Is it my age that makes me so shocked by all the booties and boobs on MTV. I remember when Video Killed the Radio Star came out. I was seven, and MTV was an infant.

No comments: